1. Never volunteer to do anything you have never heard of. Example: “Any volunteers for KP?” (sounds good but means washing lots and lots of dishes and mopping floors).
2. Always have your buddy’s back and he will always have yours.
3. You never know when you will need a special skill – learn as much as you can about everything you can.
4. Never go AWOL (in any situation like relationships, jobs, etc.)
5. Showing off just gets people hurt (or killed).
6. ASSUME: Make an ass out of you and me.
7. Get caught taking a short cut or cheating and you just have to start all over again.
8. Never ever fall asleep on guard duty (or when you’re driving).
9. When someone who outranks you tells you to do something, do it.
10. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
11. Nobody likes a whiner. Just suck it up.
12. Do as much as you can when you’re young so you don’t have regrets when you’re old.
13. Stay out all night while you are young. You can sleep when you are old.
14. Ask that girl (or guy) out. All she can say is “no” but if you don’t ask you’ll never know.
15. Never turn down an opportunity to travel to another country. What you will experience will far out weigh the costs or risks.
Happy Veteran’s Day! I decided to share Jim’s Corner on Monday instead of Friday this week since it was so relevant to the holiday. Thank you to all of the service men and women and their families for making big sacrifices for our country. We appreciate you!
Did you learn any life long lessons while you were in the military or by being part of a military family? -Lillian